Monday 13 January 2014

First au pair week in italy

AMAZIIING!

I live in Bari. I have the best host family ever. Their food is amazing, they are the most helpful people and the city...mi piace!

Ive been to Ancona, Venice and Milan before (u remember our interrail) but the south is just something else...

For these 7 days ill list you seven miracles of the beginning of my culture adventure

1.FOOD. It has been a big change for me. In London i was cooking mostly with microwave or eating out, at home in F ive been eating burgers at work in restaurant or Finnish normal food..Here all the ingredients are fresh and local. Lot of fish, vegetables and always more than one dish. My host family is faithful to the brands and love to do shoppings on freshfood markets.

On sunday we broke the record by having a lunch including 8 dishes! We were in local olive farm, famous and traditional here in south part of Italy, region Puglia. We had a tour, seeing the fruit trees, old buildings and traditional and really natural way to harvest nd product helthy, local food of the season. (food includes oils and wine)

2. PEOPLE. Everyone is interested in this Finnish au pair. In 'our' house there have been visitors, neighbours and relatives, every single day. Even if i dont speak much italian, they want to come and get to know me. I also managed to have a private italian teacher (my host dads colleague's friend) and because of her daughter i can also go for lessons in local school (for free). Also there are lots of other people offering me some options to do:) So friendly!
  haha and people already recognize me, there was an old old lady talking me italian on the bus and ive travelled with her few times now.

3.LAURA. As i dont have that much experience, especially with 3 yo kids as Laura is; everything has gone well. She already says "good night" "squirrel" 'ladybird' and some other words and sentences. She always asks 'come si dice...?" (wants to know how do i say some word in english). Playing with her is so funny and she is so cute. Sometimes crying, but she has such energy so with no doubt she also shows her tireness.

4.PUBLIC TRANSPORT. My host family owns two cars. Even if i have a license, i havent been driving. Traffic is so different and i still dont know the routes..Anyway, i always get a ride to the busstop or train station (even if its not far, there are no pavenments yet so they prefer to drive me). By bus it takes 20 mins to the centre, by train 13mins. So the centre is not too far.

But the transport is always late! And u need to buy the ticket in advance. Train ticket machine is in the railway station but last time it didnt work (so one lady sold me her ticket) and for the bus you can find tickets in the book stores or little markets, when ever there is the "T" sign outside the shop.  the public transport has a long break between 10 and 13, which is problematic for me, who loves to sleep until 10 (at least).

5. CITY. Bari is a "capital" of south region Puglia. In the centre of Bari there are Universities, railway station, harbour, old historical town with its cathedrals and tiny streets and shops full of history and traditions. There is also like "castle" and a wall in old town.

The main thing of Bari is the location along the sea. And in the new part of the centre you found not only the big luxury brands like Prada and LV, but also low-priced stores like Stadivarius and Zara, all along the same shopping street between the palms and small cafeterias. Around the centre there grow grapes and olive trees. Also the beach is only some minutes far from the centre.

6.CULTURE. People kiss the cheeks as a hello, talk loudly with the hands and call you "cara, amore". When they compliment you they dont hesitate to touch your face. Fruits and water are important and always with you, lunch is around 2 o'clock, dinner later around 8. Ppl know each other on the fish markets and they really know their neighbours. Friends and families visit each other just during the normal day in the middle of the week.

7. LANGUAGE. As im Finnish no one expects me to speak italian. I still understand more than people think. Speaking is a problem, grammar is so complicated so i need to remember so manu grammar rules before opening my mouth. I can introduce myself and guide Laura a bit, after hearing the main verbs she uses. She is talking and repeating everything, good for me. I have my private lessons and also im making a list everyday of the words i hear. Its hard to communicate without speaking much, especially now in the beginning when everyone wants to know me. But 'piano piano' as everyone says. (slowly/by time). I love the sound of the language, its so musical and especially when the baby Laura is talking while she plays..aww.

And now i will sleep well and wake up early to my italian lesson. Everyday i need to remind me where i am..its like the dream continues after waking up..

xx Sanni

1 comment:

  1. Jeee ihanan kuulosta 😘 mäki yritän taas päivittää, ku onnistus saamaan jossai hotellis wifin!

    ReplyDelete